I use a checklist to remind myself of the various tasks to perform during periodic WP site maintenance. For me monthly seems about right for these tasks. A very active site would benefit from more frequent maintenance.
- From my website: Send a test email from my Contact form
- From my Admin Dashboard:
- In cPanel:
- Run the virus scanner
- Check resource use
- Check the error log
- Check for broken links using brokenlinkcheck.com
- Check for malware using the free online services sucuri sitecheck and quttera
- For trend analysis:
Additional annual tasks (I do these around my birthday each year):
- Optimize the database (LiteSpeed Cache plugin includes this functionality. The very popular WP-Optimize works great too.)
- Update authentication keys and salts
- Change all my passwords associated with the site.
- If any plugin has not been updated for about 18 months or more, look for a replacement
WPPOV supports freedom from Net Neutrality and the GDPR. The Internet of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth.