The free WP Health Check plugin is a relatively new arrival, having been introduced a few months ago by “The WordPress.org community”. It has a remarkably polarized set of user reviews – divided almost exclusively between 5s (“Works great!”) and 1s (“Warning! Broke my site!”). The authors strongly urge to backup your site before installing and using this plugin – always a good idea.
For me, the plugin works perfectly and is a superb addition to my WP troubleshooting toolbox. Among it’s features …
- On the Health Check tab, “The health check shows critical information about your WordPress configuration and items that require your attention.” In my case it seems to show a couple of false positives, but for an extremely useful free plugin I can live with that.
- On the Debug Information tab, a ton of detailed data. Most of it I don’t understand, but if I ever need it I’m sure I will be very happy it’s there.
- Most important – the Troubleshooting tab. A standard, basic WP troubleshooting step is to deactivate all plugins and switch to the default 20-something theme. This has gotta be confusing to anyone who happens to be visiting my site at the time. The appearance of my site completely changes, and a bunch of theme and plugin-dependent stuff stops working. The Health Check plugin solves that problem by deactivating plugins and switching themes just for me – site visitors continue to see the normal, functioning site. I can selectively turn on specific plugins and my usual theme as I troubleshoot.
- On the PHP Information tab – lots more detailed data.
- I especially love the Tools tab. I can verify the integrity of all WP core files – an important step in my periodic maintenance to be confident I have not been hacked. I can also verify that wp-mail is working.
Reminder – backup your site before installing and using this plugin. It works perfectly for me but has broken some sites.
WPPOV supports freedom from Net Neutrality and the GDPR. The Internet of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth.